1. It’s cheap – you can get barely used items for less than half of full price. I hate paying full price for shit. It makes me irrationally angry. Also, no fucking sales tax.
2. It’s good for the environment – pre-loved things often have a lot of life! Save them from an early dumpyard grave!
3. You don’t have to assemble things. This goes double for kids toys & equipment. Fuck everything about putting kids toys together.
4. You don’t have to deal with the packaging. Let someone else deal with collapsing boxes and shoving styrofoam into garbage cans. That shit is for chumps.
5. If it gets broken, stained, lost, who cares? I paid $45 for 6 boxes of baby clothes. You wanna rub pasta all over your clothes, Baby Derek? GO FOR IT!!
6. It’s fun to barter. There aren’t many day-to-day situations where you can haggle prices. Craigslist is the exception. Get a guy down $5 and feel like a STAR.
7. You can find unique stuff. IKEA is pretty awesome for some stuff, but I’m stoked my house doesn’t look like their showroom.
8. Convenience – I live in central Vancouver. Big box stores are all 15+ minutes away. People selling bookshelves? Like 20 of them in a 5 block radius of my house.
9. Intimate Encounters – I’ve never used this because I’m married and also I’m scared of crotch rot, but there is some funny-ass shit!
10. Getting rid of crap – I’ve sold a few things on Craigslist, and I’ve also given away things like moving boxes. All the awesome of getting rid of crap with none of the leaving the house. Everyone knows leaving the house is stupid.